Sunday, February 17, 2008

process and commitment


I ended up drawing avocados this week... go figure.... with markers in my altered book and just designs with color. There was something floating around my consciousness about commitment and focus. At a workshop, process painting seemed easy. But at home, I was bolting when I would make an attempt and not like it right away. But now I am trying to hold my own hand as I start a piece and ask if I can stay with it long enough to see where it might go, if I might not find a way to like it again if I start to judge it. Or just use it as an experiment if it seems "ugly."

I did one earlier that felt "garish". But I also know that if I saw it and it was someone else's work, I'd think it was cool enough. It feels like the more I ask my critic to stop awhile and go have tea, the louder it can holler. I saw an article about left/right brain stuff this week and am toying with ideas about games or activities to do before I paint to help switch from my left brain /work-a-day mode to a more accepting right brain mode. I do just try to hear it and log it as "that is one way of looking at it, but there are other ways to look at it too..." The left brain is so bossy and so sure it is right!

Above is a picture I call Abalone soup. I was just playing around with some booty from beach combing. Do you have any fun games you like to do to just get playful?

No comments: